Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Cold Day, but Progress Made

Finally, I was able to return to Harmony.  It had been far too cold to make the 90 minute drive to the boat worthwhile.  My experience has shown me that when the temps are below 25 F, it takes too long for the electric and propane heaters to warm the boat up.  Not that I don't have enough other boat tasks scattered around the basement, but it does feel good to visit Harmony and make some progress.

With the temps expected to be in the mid-30's, I set out to get a several things done.  I had to make final adjustments to the sea-hood mold I had constructed prior to starting its final construction.  The ceiling strips I had fabricated out of mahogany and varnished had to be put on board.  I needed to install insulation and ceiling strips in the navigation station, and, lastly, take a bunch of measurements to fabricate vital part to various systems:  water maker drive pump, engine control panel, and stove alcove in the galley to name a few.

Not bad for a normal day, but it was still cold as I arrived at about 9:00 am!  However, I made good progress, and by 11:00, I had finished with the final fitting of the sea-hood.  This will be a posting of its own, but suffice to say, everything fits great.  The ceiling strips made it up into the boat fairly easily, and I was able to get the heaters fired up to make working inside tolerable.

New desktop being installed
I started to apply the insulation and ceiling strips to the navigation station.  The insulation went up quickly, as the spray adhesive seemed to work just fine in the cold. Next, the ceiling strips went in quite easy, after I got the drill and screw driver set up properly.

Mahogany ceiling strips partially installed
I had chosen to fabricate the ceiling strips in mahogany instead teak because of cost, and, given the limited visibility these new ceiling strips will have, I am happy with the results.

Completed Desktop and Ceiling
I finished up with all of my tasks at around 3:30 pm and the cold was getting to me.  The temperatures never got above 30, so I had reached my limits. 
 
The "Old" Nav Station in original condition
 
The "New" Nav Station in the midst of restoration
However, good results were had.  The nav station is one step closer to completion, and so in Harmony!

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

No comments:

Post a Comment