Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Good Company, Good Choice, Great Feeling

Last night I had a phone conversation that reinforced our choice of the company for a major system on Harmony.  At the risk of sounding like a pessimist, my experience with vendors has largely been one of unfilled expectations.  Yes, I accept responsibility for either not communicating clearly in some cases or enlarging expectations beyond the norm.  However, last night I was sincerely blown away.

As I have described in an earlier post, we had met an intriguing couple at the Newport Show in September who had started a company which makes and sells watermakers, or in the technical parlance, reverse osmosis systems.  DIY Watermakers, started and operated by Raymond and Amanda Fosdick, was the company we selected, and they have provided tremendously responsive support and service since we purchased our system.

Last night, Raymond, and I were discussing the significant product development and expansion they have being undergoing in the past weeks.  We were also discussing the final component that was needed to complete our system, the control panel.  Harmony will sport a remote control panel which has been in development for a few weeks. 

In the few weeks that we have had the system components in the house, I have consulted Raymond numerous times for insight.  I am sure that he has been convinced that I got the system working, but connected the output to my brain.  Anyway, Raymond has displayed not only patience, but an impressive intimacy with what Harmony's installation will require.  Business hint:  nice way to make a customer feel really important!

As an interested customer, I have tried to learn as much about the watermaking system as I can.  Raymond has used our conversations to gather my perspectives on his ideas for business expansion, boat show issues, and system applications for folks like Beth and me.  For my part, I have enjoyed the conversations, as it helps me develop a valued relationship with a vendor who has supplied an important system on Harmony.

OK, it should be obvious that Beth and I are impressed with DIY Watermakers and it's owners. We also can't wait until Harmony is in the water and we can use the system.  Well, if that was not enough to seal our deal as loyal customers, Raymond committed to upgrade our remote panel to his newest technology at no cost.  Now, that is not just unnecessary and unexpected, but hugely appreciated.

Regardless that DIY Watermakers is working hard to build a customer base in an industry filled with good competitors, Raymond is treating those customers he has as people whose relationships he values.  Thanks Raymond and Kudos DIY Watermakers!

Yes, there have been times when I have been thirsty for water, but as I have immersed myself in Harmony's restoration, I have often been parched for sincere respect and response from the vendors of the systems, equipment, and materials that we will invest significant boat dollars in.  What a nice feeling to be quenched!

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

No comments:

Post a Comment