Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tanks alot - Our beautiful new Water Tanks

After realizing that Harmony's existing water tanks were shot, we needed to get new ones fabricated.  I'd worry about the removal later, but who the heck was I going go to for the new tanks?  With all of the catalogs, websites, and boat show paraphernalia I had accumulated, there must be someone in the area who could do this. 

When Beth and I had gone to the winter Boat Show in Boston, we enquired about new fuel tanks thinking our diesel tank situation was dire.  Now, I will probably need a separate post to deal with how frustrating it is actually get anything done at a boat show.  Anyway, I remembered talking to a few tank fabricators and being impressed with one company.

Capeway Welding (New England Propeller) impressed us by (1) being willing to talk to us about our questions, and (2) using relatively thick sheets of either stainless steel or aluminum to construct their tanks.  They were located about 30 minutes from the boat, and seemed fairly interested in working with us.

Well, I called and talked to the owner.  He was definitely interested and suggested how he would approach the project.  He said bring the tanks in and we'll get started, as the timing was good.  So, I set about removing the tanks and getting them down off the boat.

Once I had removed all of the decking, it looked like a simple task of lifting the empty tanks out.  Yeah, but I still needed to empty the tanks of any water.  Ok, that's easy:  done!  Now, how does one get bulky, potential heavy, and relatively smooth tanks out of compartments that are fairly tight fitting?  Really easy - carefully!

I was able to use the tank fill tubes as a levering hand hold.  I did a test lift and found, to my amazement, that the tanks were relatively light.  I also drank several 5 hour energy drinks, ate a half dozen power bars, and read the Boston Globe:  if what I drank and ate didn't give enough energy, the Globe surely would get me so annoyed that I could lift anything!  But I digress.

I used a gentle rocking motion to help use each tank's mass to get the lower edge up and onto the compartment's framework.  Easier than I anticipated.  I had all three tanks out of their compartments  in about 15 minutes.  Dang, where are the body building magazines when you need them!

Each tank, including the fairly large center tank fit through the companionway as I put them in the cockpit.  I then used a rope to slide them down the ladder to the ground.  From there it was a simple task of driving them to Capeway Welding.


Starboard Water Tank in Cockpit ready for lowering to ground
Several weeks later, the new tanks were done.  Because of the thicker stainless steel, the new tanks weighed 3 times as much. 
The new Water Tanks in the back of our pick-up
Ouch, that meant I couldn't lift them back up into the boat myself.  Barden's Boat Yard to the rescue!  They brought their crane and in about 10 minutes had the tanks completely installed in the boat.  A job well done!
New Water Tanks neatly in their bays - Thanks to Barden's Boat Yard
Again, it was just several boat dollars, but we had great new tanks.  Capeway Welding did a great job and they were relatively easy to deal with.

Now its onto the next crucial project - where the heck is all the water coming from.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

No comments:

Post a Comment