Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Let's "dump" the Holding Tanks!

The boat had been shrink-wrapped for the winter and it was now cold, very cold.  Ah, a perfect time to remove Harmony's holding tanks.  It should be so cold that anything foul should not smell and should not MOVE!  The assumption was correct, except I forgot about antifreeze:  whoops!

Harmony has two heads:  one forward and one aft.  The P.O. (prior owner) had installed holding tanks to service these heads.  Each tank had about a 35 gallon capacity.  Unfortunately, the original design of the boat did not easily accommodate holding tanks and the tanks had to be placed in locations over 10 feet from the heads.  Well, perhaps they were out of the way, but the hoses from the heads were over 10 feet long and wound their way under berths and through other spaces.

"Rat's Nest" of Forward Head Hoses

After living with a holding tank on our last boat, Poetry, we supported the environmental responsibility, even though we know that the majority of estuarine pollution comes from run-off and malfunctioning municipal sewage systems.  None-the-less, it is the law and it does help.  However, we neither liked carrying sewage on the boat nor the loss of valuable storage space.  So, we looked into different ways to handle the necessary black water waste handling issue.

After much research, we realized that abstinence relative to this issue was not an option.  Now, some would suggest that I have been practicing this for most of my life and, as a result, I am full of you know what!  Whatever!  So, we were very impressed with the newer concept of composting toilets for the marine application:  concept is to separate the liquids from the solids and thereby eliminate odors.  Two notable companies make these composting heads, Nature's Head and Air-Head.  The units are relatively aesthetic, easy to operate, and, by all reviews, are really effective.  So, our decision was to install composting heads, and we'll discuss that decision in a later post.

However, I now needed to remove the existing holding tanks.  First I needed to locate them.  OK, the forward head tank was found under the salon sole in a compartment labeled, "Wine Cellar".  Nice, and I'll bet the wine stored there had a smooth finish!  The aft head tank was a mystery, but I found it within the aft seat of the dinette:  I thought this was a fuel tank.

What a lovely space for a holding tank or a wine cellar


Removing these tanks was not as straight forward as one would expect.  The forward tank was very large, had some contents, and needed to be lifted up into the cockpit.  The aft tank was also large, seemingly full of stuff, and encased in the dinette furniture.  Since it was cold, I could wear a protective Tyvec suit, gloves, and respirator.  Ghost busters this was not, but sliming was a real possibility.

Well, I could hear sloshing in the hoses, so I realized I needed to cut them with care.  This I did, but did get a bit of leakage.  I realized with great appreciation that Barden's Boat Yard had done a super job of winterizing these tanks so many years ago, because the leakage was basically antifreeze.

The forward tank was relatively empty, thank God, and relatively easy to lift up into the cockpit.  The hoses came out in pieces and the head unbolted cleanly, as well.  However, the aft tank wouldn't budge.  So, I removed all of the hoses and head cleanly.  I figured I needed to have the yard come in with a pump to remove all of the yuck.

Well, Barden's examined the tank and told me that the tank was, in fact, empty!  It wouldn't move because it was bolted down from underneath.  Well, after removing the furniture, I could finally get it into the cockpit.  However, I found an unexpected surprise!  Now, I had silently dreamed of finding a hidden treasure in the boat, but I was thinking of something like gold bullion or a million dollars.  Well I guess treasure is a relative term, as I found a third holding tank within the dinette furniture.  This tank, although small, was not sealed, but was thankfully empty.  Hmmm, I wonder what that thing call eBay is all about?!

Holding Tanks Removed to the Cockpit - ugggh!


I was able to get this done while it was cold enough to avoid unpleasant odors, and to allow me to wear protective clothing.  I was very glad to have that done, for sure.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

No comments:

Post a Comment